Teddy R. Christie

teddy christie

Teddy Ray Christie was born in McMinnville, Oregon on November 20, 1944 to Jesse Jr. and Patty Christie. The family moved to Springfield, Colorado in 1947, and Ted grew up fishing and hunting around Baca County, CO with his Dad, cousins and friends.

Ted represented the Springfield Longhorns playing in the band, on the basketball team, and earning varsity letters in track and football. After graduation in 1962, he took college classes in both Ft. Collins and Pueblo. Before finishing, Ted joined the U.S. Navy and was stationed in California. He continued college classes, and in his free time, obtained a pilot's license. Ted served the US Navy on two and a half tours on the USS Ranger as a Radar Man in the Pacific Rim during the Vietnam Conflict.

He also met his future wife, Kathy Ninalga, in California. They married in 1971 and after his discharge from the Navy, Ted, Kathy and daughter, Tanya, returned to Pueblo, CO. Ted attended Southern Colorado State College and graduated with degrees in Business and Computers in 1973. Ted took employment with John Deere Inc. in Denver, CO where the small family soon became 5, with the arrival of twins Jason and Jennifer.

In 1977, the Christies moved to Edmond, OK, then to Lincoln, NE in 1979. Ted continued to pursue his favorite pastimes of camping, waterskiing, hunting, fishing, and running. He also became a supportive parent and volunteer for both the Nebraska School of Gymnastics and the Husker Gymnastics programs. It was the rare gymnastic event that Ted wasn't involved with in some capacity and he was an icon in the gymnastic community.

Ted completed his first full marathon in 1989, where he qualified for the Boston Marathon for the following year. He went on to run many other half and full marathons, including the 100th Boston again in 1996. His dedication and commitment to running inspired all of his children to also take up the activity. He completed his last half marathon in June of 2008, in Georgetown, CO.

Ted and Kathy moved back to the Denver, CO area in 1997. In his spare time, he hiked many of the "14er's" in the area, hunted, fished and spent time with family in Colorado, Nebraska and Oregon.

Ted retired from his position of Sales Manager for the industrial division of John Deere Inc in 2002. In his retirement, Ted was an integral part of the creating the Frontier Archery Club near Kiowa, CO. He was a member of the local Trout Unlimited Cutthroat Chapter and the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. He was also accomplished at tying flies and became a certified fly-fishing guide in South Fork, CO for a time. Also during this time, he lovingly cared for his mom in our home for 2 � years.

Ted is preceded in death by his parents. He is survived by his wife, 3 children and 6 grandchildren with another on the way.

A celebration of Teddy's life will be held on Friday, August 14, 2009 at the Bullock Colonial Chapel at 11:00 a.m.

Friends who wish may make memorial contributions in Teddy's name to:
The Rocky Mountain Cancer Centers Foundation


Trout Unlimited, Cutthroat Chapter


Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation


View current weather.

Memories Timeline

Sign the Guestbook, Light a Candle