Clarence Edward Lott, Jr.

clarence lott,  jr.

Clarence E. Lott Jr. Obituary: This adventure began the night of February 3, 1938, in the northwestern region of Kansas in a small town called Hill City during the height of a raging prairie blizzard. While this event was not without its own excitement, a unique baby boy had just entered the world. After the delivery, the doctor proceeded to pick the baby up by his feet with one hand and immediately the baby slipped from the doctor's grasp, dropped onto the card table at the foot of the bed (head first!), bounced like a rubber ball and squalled like a banshee. Although no apparent injury was done, it became the prevailing epigram that provided the basis for this individual's direction in life: his intense drive to overcome adversity. This determined (and at times stubborn and opinionated...) man we came to know as Clarence "Tommy" E. Lott Jr. Clarence could easily be described as wearing a full head of hair in a flat top style, head to toe jeans, motorcycle boots, 50's style thick black-rimmed glasses, a bottle of Coke in one hand, and note cards in the other. Grass didn't grow under Clarence's feet. Growing up in a small farming community, young Clarence had the world at his fingertips: he climbed mulberry trees to eat the ripe berries, played in the old draw among the lush cane that grew, went fishing, dug for worms and rode Shetland ponies. He was even quarantined for six-weeks when scarlet fever hit the town. Some of Clarence's more exciting memories were exploring the Tindle Hill cave and especially visiting the crash site of a B-17. Above all, President Theodore Roosevelt's declaration of war against the Empire of Japan and growing up during WWII made a lasting impression on Clarence. During high school, Clarence played basketball, served as an Officer in the Future Business Leaders of America, was a member of the Civil Air Patrol and the Boy Scouts. Clarence had an artistic side as well; he performed in a Mixed Chorus and also in the theatrical productions, 'Tattletale,' and 'The Campbell's are Coming.' He also was an active member of KAY's, Pep, and Glee Clubs. Clarence was also the Editor of the 1956 Ringneck annual. Following graduation from high school in 1956, Clarence enrolled at Fort Hays State College in Hays, KS, where he obtained two BS degrees in Chemistry and Mathematics. He graduated from Fort Hays in 1960 and was awarded a teaching assistantship in the Chemistry Department of Kansas State University in Manhattan, KS. Clarence's first job was as a QA/QC chemist for the Frontier Chemical Company in Wichita, KS. By February 1962, he had secured employment with the A.E. Staley Manufacturing Company in Decatur, IL as an Analytical Methods Research and Development Chemist. During his tenure, he published a number of technical journal articles on his research on Starch Ethanol and gave numerous scientific presentations before national peer groups across the country. During his stay with the Staley Manufacturing Company, Clarence completed two years of part-time graduate study in Chemistry for a MS degree at Illinois State University in Normal, IL. In 1971, Clarence secured employment in Denver, CO, with a generic pharmaceutical firm as the QA/QC Laboratory Director. In 1974, Clarence went to work for the State of Colorado Health Department in the Laboratory Division working on the analysis of hazardous chemicals and materials including analytical investigations involving the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, and the Rocky Flats Nuclear Facility. During his time with the Health Department, Clarence co-authored and published two technical papers regarding sanitary landfills and the gaseous emissions. He also became the Laboratory Safety Officer as well as the Division QA/QC Officer and was the Laboratory Division Point Person for Emergencies throughout Colorado, 24/7. In 1994, after 20 years and two months of employment, Clarence elected to take early retirement from the Health Department and returned to employment in the private sector. He accepted employment with Barringer Laboratories in Golden, CO, where he was responsible for Data Validation as well as conducting Internal Investigations for the laboratory director. When Barringer closed its doors about seven years later, Clarence worked for another local laboratory, ERA, as a Customer Service Representative, providing technical support for clients. In 2002, Clarence decided he'd had enough of the hustle and bustle of the laboratory world and decided to finally retire. However, "retirement" didn't last long. Clarence took another job at Range Fuels, returning to his roots researching Cellulosic Ethanol. Clarence's contributing research at Range Fuels allowed the company to win the 2008 North American Fuels Technology Innovation Green Excellence of the Year Award. When Range Fuels closed its doors in 2011, Clarence finally decided to just let the grass grow under his feet. Clarence was a man with many hobbies and interests. He had a passion for fishing and spent many evenings and early mornings fishing for catfish at Chatfield Reservoir south of Littleton, CO. Clarence also made a yearly fishing trip to Webster State Park Reservoir near Hill City, KS. He also enjoyed collecting antique fishing reels. He loved gold prospecting, "treasure hunting", and placer mining in the mountains of Colorado and even taught a class on this for the Museum of Nature and Science in Denver, CO. Clarence was quite a rock hound, amassing a beautiful collection of rocks and minerals. His keen interest in Colorado mining history and chasing lost ghost towns was a hobby he passionately enjoyed. Clarence was exceptionally proud of his hometown. He attended high school class reunions yearly, and he loved to share the lost histories of certain areas near Hill City, KS. Clarence came from several generations of Masons and was a Mason himself. Ever the student, Clarence was fascinated by astronomy and meteorological phenomena which he followed very closely-particularly tornadoes! Clarence also enjoyed metal detecting, collecting coins, books, and rare laboratory bottles. As many knew, Clarence was fascinated by genealogy. He was always searching for new information about the many branches of his family tree. He did this for well over 25 years. Clarence also loved computers and ham radio. Clarence was also something of a wonder at herb gardening and a novice herbalist. Above all, Clarence was a mentor for all of the emerging graduates in the various labs where he worked. Clarence whole-heartedly supported his family and friends in all of their endeavors. A inspirational example of his unfailing support and kindheartedness was reflected by his support of a colleague undergoing cancer treatment. He sent "Get Well" cards every single day for two years. Clarence, as you so often said, nothing is without purpose. Nothing. What if we are a part of a greater pattern that we are incapable of comprehending? What if, when we are done with our life's purpose, we get to rise up and be with those we love? There is this great dance that we are all part of, and when we are done here, whether it's after one life or after a thousand, we rise up into the sky and become the stars that you were always intently studying. You have fulfilled an amazing purpose during this life's voyage. We wish you the best on this next step of your journey; and when we look into the night sky, we will see you flashing and winking at us, reminding us of your presence. "88's" back at you, you ornery old man; you are loved and will be dearly missed. Clarence "Tommy" Lott, age 76, started his new voyage on Thursday, January 8th, 2015. Clarence is preceded in death by his father, Clarence E. Lott Sr.; his mother Vera Venlan Johnson Lott; stepmother, Elsie Lott (who raised him); younger brother Dr. James Lott. Clarence is survived by his half-sister, Pamela Ann Lott; his children, Jill Wells, Bryan Lott, and Lori Lane, in addition to his grandchildren Chris Quam, Zoe Wells, John Lane, Jeremy Lane, Jordan Lane and Jared Lane, and his great grandchild, Emma Rose Lane. A Memorial service for Clarence will be held on his 77th birthday, February 3rd, 2015, at Stork Family Mortuary in Lakewood, CO at 6 p.m. A graveside Memorial service will be held this spring in Hill City, KS, (TBD) where he will be laid to rest with his mother Vera. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to Colorado PBS or the Fort Hays State University Department of Chemistry.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015
6:00 PM 2/3/2015 6:00:00 PM
Bullock Colonial Chapel

1375 East Hampden Avenue
Englewood, CO 80113

Bullock Colonial Chapel
1375 East Hampden Avenue Englewood 80113 CO
United States

View current weather.

Memories Timeline

Sign the Guestbook, Light a Candle